5 Ways That Red Wine Can Benefit Your Health
Odds are pretty good you’ve heard that drinking red wine can actually be beneficial to your health – as long as you do it in moderation. But what exactly are those health benefits? The following are 5 of the health benefits that you can be taking advantage of by drinking just one or two glasses of red wine per day:
1. Reduce the risk of heart problems – There is a strong antioxidant compound in red wine called resveratrol. This antioxidant compound will help to protect your heart against the effects of saturated fat, thereby helping to reduce the risk of heart disease. Red wine also contains sapponins and flavonoids, both of which help protect against heart disease. Additionally, alcohol helps to raise your good cholesterol, which is instrumental in helping to prevent blood clots – the leading cause of heart attacks.
2. Reduce the risk of cancer – Research on the subject has shown that there may be a correlation between drinking red wine in moderation and reducing the risk of cancer. It’s believed that one of the antioxidants in red wine, guercetin, might reduce the risk of lung cancer. Researchers also strongly believe that resveratrol can kill cancerous cells. Resveratrol also helps to prevent cancerous cells from removing irradiated particles, which means that resveratrol can make radiation therapy against cancer more effective.
3. Reduce the risk of diabetes – According to ten years of data collected by researchers at the Wageningen University in the Netherlands, individuals that consumed red wine had a 40 percent less chance of developing type 2 diabetes than those who did not drink. Researchers believe that this is due to the grapes with which wine is made. Consuming grapes helps to slow down the development of high blood pressure as well as insulin resistance, thereby helping to reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes.
4. Prevent cataracts – Several studies have been conducted that have found a link between drinking red wine in moderation and preventing cataracts. When comparing the test subjects, it was found that individuals who either did not drink red wine or were heavy drinkers were 50 percent more likely to develop cataracts than those who drank red wine in moderation.
5. Promote healthy teeth – Red wine helps to harden the enamel of your teeth, which in turn helps to prevent tooth decay. You can also help to prevent gum disease by drinking red wine, since it contains polyphenols, which also help to reduce the inflammation in your gums.
These are 5 of the health benefits that drinking a glass or two of wine per day can provide. Just remember that you will only receive these benefits if you drink red wine in moderation. Drinking heavily will eliminate these health benefits as well as cause health problems.